A lot of people have already figured out how to build DHTML apps like GMail, but Jon Udell's comments are worth a post:
- Bindows (5 Nov 04)
- Backbase (5 Nov 04)
- NexUsEdge (8 Nov 04)
- JSRS: Mature browser to server communications library. I use it myself. Works with PHP, Perl, Ruby, ASP, Python, JSP, etc.
- xajax: Applications developed with xajax can asynchronously call server-side PHP functions and update content without reloading the page (4 Aug 2005).
- HTTPRequest: good article on using GET/POST and XMLHTTPRequest.
- JPSpan: One of the newest browser to server libraries specially designed for PHP.
- ThinLet (8 Nov 04)
- youngpup.net - DOM-Drag Lightweight JS Drag n Drop lib (3 Aug 2005)
- Accesskey Underlining Library Easy way to add access keys to any html page without changing the actual html (4 Aug 2005).
- Rasmus Lerdorf's 30 Second Ajax Tutorial (4 Aug 2005).
- Ajax.NET - The free library for .NET (C#) Full Featured C# ajax lib (3 Aug 2005).
- DWR - Direct Web Remoting AJAX library for Java (4 Aug 2005).
- Ajax on Rails: Rails is a Ruby framework (4 Aug 2005).
- Open Lazlo (8 Nov 04)
- MacroMedia's Flex (8 Nov 04)
- Jon Udell's followup on the weaknesses of rich clients (10 Nov 2004).